New fact sheet on extended supports for Victoria’s small business tenants
26 Oct 2020 | Victorian Small Business Commission Following the Victorian Government’s changes to extend the Commercial Tenancy Relief Scheme until the end of this year, the Victorian Small Business Commission has developed a new fact sheet for tenants (click here). The fact sheet offers leasing advice, responses to frequently asked questions, a scenario showing what rent relief negotiations can look like and a summary of the important changes that apply, including the following:
- For rent relief requested for 29 September 2020 to 31 December 2020, a landlord is only required to offer rent relief from the date their tenant makes a written application to them during this period, supplying all of the required information (click here).
- Rent relief must, at a minimum, be in proportion to an eligible tenant’s fall in turnover.
We would really appreciate you sharing this resource among the small business owners in your network. Our website has a dedicated page with more information about the Scheme (click here), which gives access to: the process for tenants and landlords
- a letter that tenants can use to request rent relief (they just need to fill in the highlighted parts – click here to download)
- information on how to apply for free mediation to resolve a rent relief dispute
- responses to questions about the extended Scheme that we’re often asked.
Judy O’Connell Victorian Small Business Commissioner